How to calm dogs during fireworks
Fireworks are exciting for us but can be scary for our dogs. So, it’s only natural that dog owners will plan how to make bonfire night as stress free as possible for their dogs. But, we don’t always know when fireworks are going to happen. What about those times when you get caught off guard? Read our blog to learn how to calm dogs during fireworks, especially when you’re not expecting them.
5 things that can be done quickly and easily to calm dogs during fireworks:
- Close the curtains – this helps block out noise and light from fireworks, helping to calm your dog.
- Switch on music or turn the TV volume up – this will help drown out the noise of fireworks, helping your dog feel calmer.
- Allow your dog to hide – it’s natural to hide from things that frighten us, and dogs are no different. If your dog hides from the fireworks, don’t try to tempt them out to face their fears. This could make your dog’s stress and fear of fireworks worse.
- Reassure your dog if they come to you – if your dog is scared, they may come to you for comfort. If they do, don’t ignore them. Give them a stroke and reassure them as you would normally. This will help them feel more reassured and calm during the fireworks.
- Act naturally – if you don’t appear bothered by fireworks, then your dog will see there is nothing to be worried about.
What else can be done to calm dogs during fireworks?
The key thing is to plan ahead. Check out our step-by-step plan for bonfire night. It explains what you can do before you expect fireworks and on the night. Most of these can be left in place for a couple of weeks so you and your dog won’t be caught out by unexpected fireworks again.
We also recommend using a Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Diffuser, which contains a synthetic copy of the Dog Appeasing Pheromone. The Dog Appeasing Pheromone is clinically proven to promote feelings of reassurance in dogs, and is instantly recognisable to dogs of all ages.
The diffuser is easy to use, simply plug it in, and the pheromones are diffused throughout the home. This makes the product ideal to calm dogs during fireworks, and other stressful situations. For best results, we recommend plugging the diffuser in at least one week before fireworks occur.
Each refill lasts up to 30 days, meaning you and your dog don’t need to worry about being caught out by unexpected fireworks.
Beaphar CaniComfort® - support that lasts up to 30 days. Ideal for fireworks season
Check out the Beaphar CaniComfort® Range
- Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Diffuser & Plug for DogsFor nervous or stressed dogs, Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Diffuser is a long-lasting plug-in, for use in the home that offers continuous calming for dogs, using pheromone technology which is scientifically recognised for its calming effects. Ideal for reducing problem behaviour and providing reassurance in stressful situations, such as separation anxiety, family gatherings, fireworks and more.
- Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Diffuser Refill for DogsThe Beaphar CaniComfort® 30 Day Refill should be used in combination with the Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Diffuser. This long-lasting plug-in provides continuous calming for nervous dogs. Using pheromone technology, which is scientifically recognised for its calming effects, it is ideal for reducing problem behavior in nervous dogs, such as barking, furniture destruction, urinary marking, excessive licking and scratching, or general feelings of anxiety. It provides reassurance in stressful situations, such as separation anxiety, family gatherings, fireworks and more.
- Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Collar for Adult DogsFor nervous dogs, the Beaphar CaniComfort® Calming Collar delivers fast-acting reassurance, wherever your dog goes, for up to one month. So they can feel at ease when at home or exploring outdoors. Pheromone technology is scientifically recognised to help your dog feel safe and secure, wherever they are.